The following is a Sun Dolphin Journey 10 review for a kayak with on-the-water versatility. Kayaking can be many things as you can combine this fun sport with water exploration or fishing, leisure with exercising.
Picking the right kayak depends on your level of experience, and what you intend to do with the kayak (go fishing, rafting, both, or others).
|Load Capacity||One-adult, maximum weight capacity 280 pounds/127 kilograms|
|Material||Sun Dolphin Fortiflex®, high-density polyurethane|
|Weight||40.8 pounds/18.5 kilograms|
|Dimensions:||120 x 30 x 11 Inches / 304.8 x 76.2 x 27.9 centimeters|
|Special Features||Extra storage, three-rod holders, with one 360 degrees swivel|
This Sun Dolphin 10 review will include a breakdown of its top features, and will also point out some of the main advantages and disadvantages of this kayak. We’ll offer you several product-specific recommendations, and also basic instruction on how to assemble your new Sun Dolphin Journey 10.
Top Features of the Sun Dolphin Journey 10
To begin our Sun Dolphin Journey 10 review, let’s first discuss some of its top features. These will be then followed by some advantages and disadvantages of owning this particular kayak.
Important Specifications and Features
- Wide beam – The Sun Dolphin Journey 10 has a 30-inch beam.
- This helps improve control over the 28-inch kayak and also ensures that it will run better in tight places than a wider model.
- Sit-on Cockpit – One of the most important aspects of this Sun Dolphin Journey 10 review is to mention the cockpit design.
- This is a sit-on kayak, which makes it an excellent option for anglers and waterway explorers.
- Swivel Rod Holders – Fishermen will also love that the rod handlers can swivel at a full 360 degrees.
- Double Paddle Holder – One huge convenience of this kayak is that it has twin paddle holders.
- There is one on either side of the kayak.
- Adjustable Foot Braces – Another important thing to mention in our Sun Dolphin Journey 10 review is the flexibility of the foot positioning.
- There are 11 different settings for the foot braces giving you lots of comfortable options to secure your feet.
Product Recommendations and User Opinions
Recommended level: Amateurs to experienced kayakers
This is a good kayak for anglers as it provides users with space that fits enough gear to fish for the entire day. There are multiple rod holder options so you can work the kayak in different directions. It’s simple to operate, lightweight enough for one person to transport, and affordable for those on a budget.
- Users seem to really appreciate the fact that this kayak is so lightweight. Other Sun Dolphin Journey 10 review comments frequently mention this as a huge asset of this product.
- Being both lightweights and having a sit-top design make this kayak very easy to maneuver. It’s streamlined to fit in tight spaces, yet has enough beam to give you a feeling of secure side-to-side balance. Owners find these combinations to be very appealing.
- Still, this model does have its drawbacks as well. For example, some kayakers mentioned in their Sun Dolphin Journey 10 review that the kayak sat very low in the water. This makes it somewhat prone to taking on water more than models with a higher waterline.
How to Assemble the Sun Dolphin Journey 10
- The Sun Dolphin Journey 10 is a hard shell kayak that comes all but fully assembled. The oar holders, cup holders, and foot braces are all already attached.
- Has rod holders and storage netting clips that you cand snap into place with ease.
- The front straps for extra storage easily screw into pre-fitted holes with a standard Phillips screwdriver.
- After a complete inspection to make sure that all the hardware and parts, you should have your Sun Dolphin Journey 10 out of the box and ready for the water within minutes.
Keeping your Sun Dolphin Journey 10 in good working condition is essential for both its functionality and your safety. Here are four basic tips (with details) on how to maintain your kayak in perfect condition.
- Check your kayak over every time you bring it in after a use. Also do this prior to putting in the water.
- This will help you spot any potential problems with the rigging, hardware, or the hull.
- Double check your emergency gear.
- Always replace broken parts with authentic replacement parts.
- Do not try to rig a broken piece of hardware on your kayak. This may result in even more problems.
- Your kayak doesn’t need to be sparkling and shiny, but keeping it clean helps make it last longer and function better.
Here, you can find a short video that explains many of the features we just talked about in our Sun Dolphin Journey 10 review.
If you’re interested in a versatile kayak that has many useful features, we hope this Sun Dolphin Journey 10 review has helped point out what this kayak has to offer. If you’ve already used this kayak, let us know what you think about it. In addition, if you feel we missed any points in our review, tell us about those as well.
Looking for some shoes to go with that brand new kayak? Then check out our selection: