|Load Capacity||One to three children (5 years of age and up) – Max total = 130 pounds/59 kilograms|
|Material||Hardshell high-density (HDPE) polyurethane|
|Weight||18 pounds/8.2 kilograms|
|Dimensions:||72 x 24 x 9 Inches/ 182.9 x 61 x 22.9 centimeters|
|Special Features||Molded paddle cradles, wide cockpit, adjustable footrest|
The Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak is an excellent choice if you’re looking to introduce children to kayaking. This is because this kayak was designed and built for kids.
Here is a full review of the Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak, including its top features, plus some advantages and also disadvantages of using it. We’ve included a short video presentation, plus some pointers for kayak maintenance as well.
Learning how to kayak at a young age is great. It helps teach discipline, safety, responsibility, and can also help young ones develop an appreciation for the water. One problem, though, is that standard kayaks are very difficult for kids to control. If they struggle, they most likely won’t enjoy their experience.
One way of preventing this is by choosing the right kayak for children, so read on and find out more!
Top Features of the Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak
Kids benefit from feeling stable on the water the first time they go kayaking, so the cockpit design of this kayak is meant to give that feeling of balance. The Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak is light enough to be easily maneuvrable but sturdy enough to remain stable in slightly choppy water. Here are some additional features of this kayak.
- There is a twin fin design under the Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak that helps it track straighter.
- Lifetime patented their rear platform, which makes it easy for kids to swim up to the platform. They can also step in offshore as well.
- If children see water in the cockpit, they need to know they can safely get it out. The Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak has scooper holes so that a child can easily bail out any water that splashes in their boat.
- There are multiple footrest positions, so children of different heights and leg lengths can get comfortable in this kayak.
- The paddle cradles are molded to the kayak, so the paddles themselves will not wobble out of their cradle.
Product Recommendations and User Opinions
Recommended level: Children who are beginner kayakers
- Users are amazed by the stability of this kayak. Children who were apprehensive on their first kayak trip, soon felt reassured the stable balance of the Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak.
- While it is a hard shell kayak with a wide berth, owners appreciated that it is lightweight enough to lift on top of a car carrier, or in the bed of a pickup truck.
- This kayak has a 130-pound maximum only weight capacity, so it is only for children. Larger kids and adults should not use this kayak. If the weight capacity is exceeded, this kayak has the tendency to capsize.
- While it is a durable kayak, some owners question the thickness of construction.
How to Assemble the Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak
This is a hard shell child’s kayak that comes all ready and set for the water. The paddle cradles are molded in place, so there isn’t really anything to assemble. So the only assembly necessary is to snap the two paddle ends to the handle.
It is easy to teach children how to care for and keep their Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak working properly by simply showing and explaining to them some proper maintenance steps.
Here are several maintenance tips you can do together with your child to help him or her take care of their kayak.
- Do a full kayak inspection after every use.
- To help promote water safety, you and your child should also check over the kayak before going on the water.
- Teaching the importance of safety is essential, so always check the safety gear and equipment.
- Replace broken or worn parts as soon as you see an issue.
- Never allow a child (or yourself either) to use a kayak that has a broken part, or possible damage to the hull.
To help you get a better visual impression of the Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak, here is a short video presentation provided by Lifetime itself.
The Lifetime Youth Wave can be a perfect choice for kayak beginners that are 5 years or older and who want too safely learn this great sport.
Hopefully, this review has helped point out all the main features and advantages as well as disadvantages of using this product to teach a child how to kayak.
If your kids have or are already using this kayak, do tell us how they like it or if they, or you, have any complaints about this model. In addition, if there are any features we might have missed, let us hear about those as well.
For readers that are just getting started on kayaking themselves, we have a best of selection of best fishing kayaks as well.
For some added protection, don’t forget to select the best lifejackets for kayaking as well.